Sunday, September 27, 2009

An Endorsement and I missed you guys!

The last 2 weeks have been such a blur and again give credit to all of you who are PCP'ing while juggling other life commitments. Over the last few weeks, as I went back to work after a summer with the girls, fitting all my PCP to dos in was a bit tough. The one that really got let go was my typical every other day blog post.

There have been a bunch of posts in my mind, and tons to share. But one that keeps coming back to me. Seriously think, all women a few months after they give birth should find their way to Patrick and the PCP program.
It is a funny thing, the community of women and the massive number of places you can go for information. As someone who has always sort of enjoyed things as they came, I found much of what people said to be a bit different for me. ( and felt quite lucky as a result ) Don't get me wrong, I love the connections that we've all made over the last year or so, first as a woman trying to concieve, then as an IVF patient for a brief time, next as a pregnant woman and someone who knew they were having twins, and then finally as a new mom.
As we connected with folks, there were a few questions and comments that were heard quite often and most of all, I thought that the sleep deprivation would do me in...

So, fast forward, some how I find out about Patrick and the PCP program. As you know, following a woman I am inspired by and learn from on Twitter of all places.
And, yes over the last few months have been incredibly thankful for the first time in my life to view eating, excercising and reflecting as one of the most important responsibilities I have to myself and my family.

You see, as a new parent, there is so much you experience that makes this program so incredibly rich.
A huge change in your world, and a desire to teach and impart in your children a feeling that they can do anything. A desire to show them to love learning, and be a student of life and the world. A hope that you will one day, when you realize how quickly is already going by, be around to hold their grandchildren and be by their side in the hospital ( or at home ) on that amazing day.
A realization that you will need more physical strength and mental clarity as you go about this job of parenting. That despite getting less then 6 hours of sleep on average, that you want to make each day the best it can be.
That as a woman, you have now done what your body was designed to do all these years, and that it is the same body that in a way you took for granted or ignored. That feeding it truly, healthy things actually is FAR more desirable and rewarding then said evening ice cream habit.
Each morning, waking up in the early morning hours, and doing the routine is a way to start the day with something just for you. That as you surprise your self with your strength and commitment, that your own ideas about what and how you want to spend your time become incredibly clear and peaceful.
And, that last but not least, there is the vanity piece. That so, has everything else changed, truly all just becoming sharper, richer, deeper, so has what you want to wear.
That being in shape and physically strong is an amazing present to give yourself at a time where many just plod along. There are so many people who have said to me " I barely left the house for 6 months" or " I could not do anything except take care of the baby and sleep " and I wish they too had known about this program.
As people stop and admire the girls as we go about town, they often follow up with " you look great " I think most often, they are looking into my eyes, and see a sense of life. As a quickly reply ( I am not good at taking compliments yet ) I'm doing this program, and spill some of the details, I realize how lucky I was to have found this.
In the early days-it helped give a structure to the day, something for only me to accomplish and do, an amazing amount of energy, a sense of clarity about how I wanted the girls and all our kids to grow up, and now the ability to change my wardrobe! ( For a new mom, that is actually sort of important! )

So, I say to all of you new parents out there...find a way. You will be amazed...

No comments:

Post a Comment